suntimes
GRACIOUS
Weather Updates

Carbon monoxide killed Merrillville family: police

Two adults two children were found dead Wednesday this home 800 block West 70th Avenue Merrillville. Carbmonoxide poisoning is suspected

Two adults and two children were found dead Wednesday in this home in the 800 block of West 70th Avenue in Merrillville. Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, according to police. | Karen Caffarini/For the Post-Tribune

storyidforme: 56516255
tmspicid: 20689505
fileheaderid: 9633620
Article Extras
Story Image
Maps

Updated: October 17, 2013 1:17PM



MERRILLVILLE — A family of four found dead Wednesday in a home in Merrillville apparently died of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said Thursday morning.

Micheal Nichols, 41, Kennetha Purnell, 38, Morgan Nichols, 11, and Matthew Nichols, 13, were all pronounced dead shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday after they were found in a home in the 800 block of 70th Avenue, according to the Lake County Coroner’s office.

Officers conducting a welfare check about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday found all four dead in the home, according to a statement from the Merrillville Police Department.

Police believe all four people died from carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.

The family was moving into the home and did not have the power turned on, police said.

A gas generator in the home’s attached garage had cords attached to “various electronics” in the home, police said. All of the home’s exterior doors and windows were closed.

None of the four was found with injuries and their causes of death were still pending Thursday morning, according to the coroner’s office.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.