Updated: October 10, 2013 5:16PM
A gunman in a car opened fire on an on-duty Chicago Public Schools Safe Passage worker Tuesday, police said, calling it a likely “domestic incident.”
The 36-year-old female victim was unhurt and police had no one in custody Thursday.
“Our investigation has revealed that this is very likely a domestic incident,” said Chicago Police spokesman Adam Collins.
The incident occurred about 9 a.m., near the intersection of East 47th and South Wabash, police said. An older model black Audi pulled up beside the woman, police said. The woman fled, heard four to five gunshots, prompting her to dive for cover, police said. The gunman then sped away, police said.
CPS spokeswoman Becky Carroll issued the following statement:
“No children or other community members were present during the time of the alleged incident, and there has not been any reported incidents of children getting hurt along this route or any route in the City. As a protective measure, the safe passage vendor has removed this safe passage worker from her post until further notice. CPS will continue to work with CPD and the community to carefully monitor the situation and protect children on their way to school and home.”
The Safe Passage routes citywide were created to help students traveling to new schools after the historic closing of nearly 50 Chicago Public Schools earlier this year.