Traffic closures on Lake Shore Drive for Chicago Half-Marathon
SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE September 8, 2013 6:00AM
Updated: September 8, 2013 6:00AM
The Chicago Half-Marathon will cause some street closures on Lake Shore Drive Sunday, the same day the Chicago Bears play their season opener at Soldier Field.
More than 16,500 runners will start the race at 7 a.m. at the intersection of Cornell Avenue and Hayes Drive in Jackson Park, according to the event’s organizers.
Traffic in the area will be disrupted starting about 6:30 a.m., when Lake Shore Drive will close in both directions between 31st and 67th streets.
Northbound lanes of the drive should reopen by 9:30 a.m., while southbound traffic will resume at 11 a.m.
Race organizers urge anyone headed to Soldier Field for the Chicago Bears season opener at noon to take notice of the street closures.
Approximate times for all closures for the marathon include:
· Immediate Jackson Park Area (near the intersection Hayes and Richards drives): through Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
· Cornell Avenue from 67th to 57th streets: 3 a.m. to 9 a.m.
· Stony Island Avenue from 67th to 57th streets: 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
· 57th Street from Stony Island Avenue to Lake Shore Drive: 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
· Marquette Road from Stony Island Avenue to Lake Shore Drive: 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
· 67th Street from Jeffrey Avenue to South Shore Drive: 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
· South Shore Drive from 67th Street to Lake Shore Drive: 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
· Northbound Lake Shore Drive from 67th to 31st streets: 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
· Southbound Lake Shore Drive from 67th to 31st streets: 6:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Metra is offering a special $5 ticket for runners and spectators. The discounted tickets are only available at ticket windows at Millennium Station downtown, and are valid only for travel to and from the 63rd Street Station near the race.
Metra will also offer extra service on the Metra Electric Line to accomodate crowds headed to the half-marathon.