suntimes
UNLIKELY

Bomb threats made against Kane County courthouses

Updated: September 4, 2013 12:25PM



Three Kane County courthouses were evacuated Wednesday morning after they received bomb threats, and two have since reopened.

The Kane County Judicial Center on Route 38 in St. Charles, the Kane County Branch Court on Randall Road in St. Charles, the Elgin Branch Court in Elgin were all evacuated after receiving bomb threats about 10:30 a.m., according to Kane County Sheriff’s spokesman Lt. Pat Gengler.

“The threats were specific enough to each of the three buildings that we decided to evacuate,” Gengler said.

All three building were cleared of employees and visitors, and searched for anything suspicious, Gengler said. Other county buildings that did not receive specific threats were also being swept but were not evacuated.

As of noon, nothing had been found in any of the buildings, and the Judicial Center and the Branch Court in St. Charles, which also house the clerk’s office, had reopened.

“Anyone scheduled to be in court for the 1 p.m. court call should show up,” he said.

The Elgin court remained close as of noon but was expected to reopen for the 1 p.m. court call, he said.

Gengler had no specific details available as to how many threats were made, or who they were phoned in to, but said officials are working to track the caller and hope to make an arrest soon.





© 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.