Weather Updates

Seven shot overnight, including four teens

Updated: August 15, 2013 8:18AM

Seven people were wounded, including four teenage children, in shootings across the city since Wednesday evening.

On the South Side, three people — including a 15-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy — were shot in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood about 11:30 p.m., police said.

All three were in the 400 block of East 71st when at least one shooter emerged from an alley and opened fire, police said.

The 16-year-old boy was wounded after at least one bullet struck him in the side of his chest, police said. He was taken in serious-to-critical condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, said police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli.

The 15-year-old girl was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital with a gunshot wound to her leg, police said. She was in stable condition.

A 49-year-old man was also wounded in the shooting. He was listed in stable condition at University of Chicago Hospitals with a gunshot wound to the groin.

About an hour earlier, two 15-year-old boys were shot in a Bronzeville alley, police said.

The boys were in an alleyway in the 3800 block of South Vincennes when they “heard shots and then felt pain” about 10:30 p.m., police said.

One of the boys was shot in the leg, police said. He was listed in stable condition at Comer Children’s Hospital. A bullet grazed the other boy’s shoulder, police said. He was listed in good condition.

The most recent shooting happened on the Far South Side about 1:20 a.m. in the West Pullman neighborhood, police said.

According to police, who released few details, a 52-year-old man was at 11573 S. State when he was shot in the leg about 1:20 a.m. He was listed in stable condition, police said.

The first shooting of the evening left a man critically wounded in the South Chicago neighborhood about 9:25 p.m., police said.

Police said the man, believed to be in his 20s, was in the 8500 block of South Oglesby when he was shot in the chest and neck. He was taken to an area hospital in critical condition, police said.

As of 7 a.m. Wednesday the shootings remained under investigation, though no arrests were made.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.