suntimes
GRINCHY 
Weather Updates

Candle ignites mattress fire in Near North Side high-rise

Updated: July 29, 2013 10:37PM



No one was hurt in a fire ignited by a candle Monday night in a 10th-floor unit in Near North Side high-rise CHA building for seniors.

The fire at the Zelda Ormes Apartments, 116 W. Elm St., started just after 8:30 p.m. when a candle fell onto a mattress in a 10th floor unit, authorities said.

The resident “did the correct thing” by closing the door and leaving the building, fire officials said.

Crews encountered “heavy smoke” in the building, according to dispatch reports, but the fire did not spread beyond the unit where it started.

Firefighters put out the flames with a single hose line, officials said.Residents were allowed to return to their homes about 9:30 p.m.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.