suntimes
GRACIOUS
Weather Updates

DCFS can’t visit home where murder suspect’s child is staying: judge

Adam M. Landerman (clockwise from top left) AlisR. Massaro JoshuF. Miner Bethany L. McKee

Adam M. Landerman (clockwise, from top left), Alisa R. Massaro, Joshua F. Miner and Bethany L. McKee

storyidforme: 50660166
tmspicid: 16508289
fileheaderid: 7423172
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: July 15, 2013 7:23PM



A Will County judge on Wednesday declined to allow the state’s child-welfare agency to do a well-being check on the daughter of a Shorewood woman charged in a Joliet double murder.

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services wanted to check the home of Bethany McKee’s parents, with whom her daughter has been living since she was arrested in January. But Judge Paula Gomora said the agency did not present any indication that the girl’s safety was in jeopardy.

“You don’t have any allegations that anything has happened to this child. Just because she’s living there isn’t enough,” Gomora said. “I’m not going to order that they open up their home to you. If there’s more information that can be provided, I’ll entertain it.”

Bethany McKee is among four people charged in the January stranglings of Eric Glover and Terrance Rankins. Also charged in the case are Joshua Miner, Adam Landerman and Alissa Massaro.

DCFS sought to inspect the home of Teresa and William McKee after receiving information on its hotline, including that William McKee is a convicted sex offender.

That alone was not sufficient to allow the agency into the McKee home, Gomora said.

William McKee pleaded guilty in November 1995 to aggravated criminal sexual abuse, admitting to a Will County judge that he fondled a girl under 13. He told the Chicago Sun-Times last month that he was innocent of that charge and only agreed to a plea deal because he got bad legal advice.

The family had opposed the agency’s request because DCFS has investigated the McKee family multiple times over the years, Teresa McKee told the Sun-Times. Every time, the allegations were unfounded, she said.

Gomora set another hearing for 10 a.m. July 23.

Contributing: Becky Schlikerman



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.