Weather Updates

Army veteran charged in fatal stabbing of South Side man

A Zion man who was described by his lawyer as an Army veteran and National Guardsman was ordered held in lieu of $2 million bail Tuesday for a 2011 fatal stabbing on the Far South Side.

Michael Shegog, now 34, was seen in Karrieem Dixon’s car wearing Army fatigues on Dec. 14, 2011 — the last time Dixon’s family saw him, Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Amanda Pillsbury said.

When police came to do a well being check at Dixon’s home four days later, they found him stabbed several times in the chest, back, arms and neck. There was also an ax at the 50-year-old’s South Side residence, in the 200 block of West 115th Street, Pillsbury said.

The day Dixon is believed to have been killed Shegog was seen riding with Dixon and a third man who was being taken for treatment at Roseland Hospital, Pillsbury said.

Dixon never came back to pick the third man from the hospital that day and Shegog was later spotted at some witnesses’ home with blood all over his fatigues and a stab wound to his leg, Pillsbury said.

Dixon’s car was found two miles away from his home on Dec. 29, 2011.

Witnesses said the car had been parked there for two weeks, prosecutors said.

Dried blood was recovered from the steering wheel, gear shift, dash knobs and turn signal, Pillsbury said. The steering wheel column had a punched ignition and a screwdriver and washcloth was recovered from the front seat, Pillsbury added. Blood samples were also taken from Dixon’s home.

When Judge James Brown asked why Shegog was picked up two years after the murder, Pillsbury only said that recent tests showed that Shegog’s blood matched the DNA evidence found in Dixon’s truck and house.

There was also a warrant issued for Shegog’s arrest a few weeks ago.

Shegog has several felony theft convictions. He was on probation for a 2011 retail theft at the time of the murder, Pillsbury said.

Assistant Public Defender Marijane Placek suggested that Shegog, a married father of two, had been defending himself when he stabbed Dixon.

He joined the Army in 1999 and was honorably discharged in 2001, Placek said.

Shegog was also a reservist on the National Guard, the defense attorney said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.