Weather Updates

Judge: No bail for suspect in 1999 kidnapping, slaying of shop owner

Darryl Green 28 was kidnapped from Broadview beeper store he co-owned with his twbrother DarwJune 1999. His abductors called his

Darryl Green, 28, was kidnapped from the Broadview beeper store he co-owned with his twin brother, Darwin, in June 1999. His abductors called his brother, seeking ransom, and then killed Darwin execution-style — with three shots to the head — in Gary. Four men have been charged in Cook County in his slaying. | Family photo

storyidforme: 50541834
tmspicid: 18817213
fileheaderid: 8483541
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: July 12, 2013 6:21AM

A Cook County judge held a Chicago man without bail Monday for his alleged role in the kidnapping and execution-style murder of a Broadview business man 14 years ago.

Dimeyon Cole, 30, is the first of four men to appear in court since first-degree murder charges were unsealed against them for the slaying of Darryl Green.

Also charged with Green’s murder are Kevin Mitchell, 46, of Jeffersonville, Ind., Menard McAfee, 38, and Raymond Winters, 46.

McAfee and Winters are already serving sentences in state prison for violent crimes, according to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office.

Cook County Judge James Brown questioned the evidence used to implicate Cole in the murder Monday, but he said he ultimately refused bail because of the nature of the case.

Green was kidnapped from his beeper store, “Beep the Twinz” on June 18, 1999, prosecutors have said, held for ransom and ultimately shot and killed in a vacant lot in Gary, Ind. Cole was 16 at the time.

Assistant State’s Attorney Jamie Santini said Cole and his co-defendants took Green from the store in the 2100 block of S. 17th at gunpoint, forced him into a van where he was bound and driven to a home on Maple Street in Chicago.

There they held Green bound and duct taped at gunpoint in the basement, Santini said. They would go on to make phone calls demanding a ransom for his release to Green’s twin brother, prosecutors have said.

Green’s family immediately called authorities, Santini said, and several more ransom calls were made. Hours later, believing authorities had been contacted, someone made a final call to Green’s twin.

Santini told the judge that person was recorded saying, “Make arrangements for your brother, it’s over with, bye.”

Green’s abductors then carried Green back out to the van, Santini said, and drove him to a secluded lot, officials have said, near 20th and Grant in Gary.

There Santini said they shot Green three times in the head at close range and then fled in the van. Witnesses saw Green being taken from the vehicle, heard gunshots and called police who discovered Green’s body, Santini said.

The prosecutor also explained that two of Green’s co-defendants have been connected to the slaying through the cell phone used to make the ransom calls and a van where Green’s DNA was found.

“Where’s the evidence against this defendant?” Judge Brown said. “I haven’t heard anything.”

Santini said two co-defendants admitted their involvement in Green’s murder and implicated Cole — claiming Cole helped carry Green into the wooded area where he was shot — and said at least one would testify against Cole.

The prosecutor also said the murder charges are the result of an ongoing investigation that has lasted 14 years. Marijane Placek, Cole’s public defender, said it sounded more like one of Cole’s co-defendants was arrested and made a deal.

“Fourteen years is even slow for government work, judge,” Placek said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.