suntimes
COARSE 
Weather Updates

4 men charged in 1999 kidnap, shooting death of electronics store owner

Darryl Green 28 was kidnapped from Broadview beeper store he co-owned with his twbrother DarwJune 1999. His abductors called his

Darryl Green, 28, was kidnapped from the Broadview beeper store he co-owned with his twin brother, Darwin, in June 1999. His abductors called his brother, seeking ransom, and then killed Darwin execution-style — with three shots to the head — in Gary. Four men have been charged in Cook County in his slaying. | Family photo

storyidforme: 50493612
tmspicid: 18817213
fileheaderid: 8483541
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: July 11, 2013 6:39AM

Darwin Green has eight coats. In a pocket of each is a picture of his twin brother, Darryl.

Darryl was kidnapped, held for ransom and killed by three bullets to the head 14 years ago, when he was 28. His body was dumped in a vacant lot in Gary, Ind.

The brothers owned a business — a beeper shop in west suburban Broadview called “Beep the Twinz.”

Now prosecutors say his killers — who also are accused of kidnapping Green from the beeper store in June 1999 — have been charged with his slaying across the state line in Cook County. Prosecutors said the men bound him and drove him to a home on Chicago’s West Side, then shot him execution-style in Gary.

According to the state’s attorney’s office, four men were charged with first-degree murder in Green’s slaying: Dimeyon Cole, 30, of Chicago; Kevin Mitchell, 46, of Jeffersonville, Ind.; Menard McAfee, 38, and Raymond Winters, 46.

Darwin Green said he doesn’t know the men, and neither did his brother. “It was a relief to hear” that the men had been charged, Green said. “That’s my only brother, and he was a hardworking man.”

Prosecutors said the four men took Darryl Green from his store in the 2100 block of South 17th in Broadview, on June 18, 1999.

He was bound and driven to a Chicago home, where the men allegedly made a series of telephone calls to Darwin seeking cash for his release.

“Make arrangements for your brother,” someone told Darwin during the final phone call, according to the state’s attorney’s office. “I thought it was a prank at first,” Green recalled in a telephone interview Sunday night. “They said ‘Prepare for his death, we’re gonna kill him.’ ”

Then they forced his brother back into a van and drove him to a secluded area near 20th and Grant in Gary.

Witnesses reported seeing the van drive up, watching four people get out and carry a person into the woods and hearing gunshots shortly thereafter. Gary Police later found the body, identified as Darryl Green, with three gunshot wounds to the head.

“I tried to set up an exchange, but it was too late,” Darwin Green said.

McAfee and Winters already are serving sentences in state prison for violent crimes, prosecutors said in a news release, and all four were affiliated with the Black Souls and Vice Lords street gangs at the time of the murder. The case was investigated by the FBI and the state’s attorney’s Gang Crimes Unit.

“I’ll be at every court date,” Green said. “I want justice for my brother.”

Contributing: Jon Seidel, Allison Horton

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.