Weather Updates

Ex-Schaumburg cop charged with keeping resident’s gun

A former veteran Schaumburg police officer is facing felony charges for allegedly taking a .22-caliber pistol turned in by two village residents.

Bryan Woodyard, 38, accepted the silver revolver while working as patrol officer from the residents when they came to the police station in April, but he never turned in the weapon or filed any reports, Schaumburg police said.

The loaded gun was found a few days later in his lunch bag after one of the residents who had surrendered the gun approached other police officials about her dealings with Woodyard.

The seven-year veteran appeared in Cook County Circuit Court Thursday after being charged with felony official misconduct. He was released after posting 10 percent of his $5,000 bail.

Woodyard, 38, had resigned from the suburban department a day earlier, Schaumburg police said.

The charges filed against Woodyard are a new blow to the beleaguered department that saw three of its tactical officers charged earlier this year with stealing marijuana and cocaine from drug dealers.

The department’s former chief also retired this year following an investigation into claims by a former girlfriend that he had stalked and harassed her. Former chief Brian Howerton wasn’t charged criminally though an internal review determined he had violated rules regarding allowing visitors at the police department.

Woodyard is accused of taking the weapon while working on April 22.

He allegedly first offered to buy the handgun from the two women, who said they no longer wanted the weapon.

Woodyard allegedly took the women outside the police station, then took the pistol, telling them he would “take care of it,” Cook County prosecutors said during his court appearance.

One of the women returned to the department on April 26, telling officials she was concerned because Woodyard hadn’t given her a receipt for the weapon or taken any information from her, including her name.

Woodyard was placed on administrative leave later that day while police continued to investigate his actions, Sgt. John Nebl said.

“We acted quickly on it,” Nebl said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.