Judge warns music show producer: Don’t contact family of girl you allegedly molested
BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN Criminal Courts Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org May 29, 2013 1:20PM
Updated: May 29, 2013 7:24PM
The producer of a popular Spanish language music cable television show called the grandparent of a girl he allegedly molested just ten days after a Cook County judge ordered him to stay away from the girl, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Elpidio “Juan” Contreras told Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. on May 9 that he needed an assistant public defender because he gave all his money away to charity.
But on Wednesday, the 53-year-old, whose relatives posted ten percent of his $500,000 bail, showed up in court with a private attorney.
Contreras made a call to the now 11-year-old victim’s grandparent on May 19 even though Bourgeois specifically told him to stay away from the girl and her family, Assistant State’s Attorney Jacqueline Kwilos told Judge Israel Desierto.
Contreras’ attorney Andrew Weisberg said there was no evidence the call was made and if it was, it was an “isolated incident, one-time thing.”
Desierto warned Contreras if he contacts the girl or her family, he could be taken back into custody.
“I understand and I won’t do it again,” Contreras said through a Spanish-speaking interpreter.
“Well I guess that’s an admission,” a bemused Desierto said.
Desierto allowed Contreras to remain free on bond but then asked that he turn in his passport.
“I don’t have a passport,” said Contreras, who has been video editing for the “El Show De Juan Contreras” or the Juan Contreras Show for the last two decades.
Contreras is accused of molesting a girl he had been giving voice lessons since last year.
He allegedly also took topless pictures of the girl and one of her wearing a bikini.