Lincolnshire hotel, theater evacuated because of noxious fumes
By Ronnie Wachter | firstname.lastname@example.org April 23, 2013 10:24AM
Fire crews respond to a hazardous materials incident involving two chemicals being mixed together in the kitchen of the Lincolnshire Marriott April 23. | Ryan Pagelow~Sun-Times Media
Updated: November 19, 2013 8:45AM
LINCOLNSHIRE — A bad week for the Lincolnshire Marriott Resort due to flooding continued Tuesday morning, when the accidental mixing of two cleaning agents created a gas that forced the evacuation of the building.
Fred Kruger, Chief of the Lincolnshire-Riverwoods Fire Protection District, said his group received a call at about 9 a.m. for hazardous materials in the Marriott’s kitchen.
“They discovered that in the kitchen, two chemicals had somehow been combined,” Kruger said. “When they combined, they created a gas that irritated some people’s respiratory tracts.”
Those chemicals were an oven cleaner and a drain cleaner, both items commonly found in a commercial kitchen.
Four employees working in the kitchen experienced discomfort from the odor the chemical-mix gave off, he said.
Firefighters evacuated the building as a precaution, but Kruger said the gas never escaped the kitchen.
The four who inhaled the chemicals were treated on the scene but did not require transportation to a hospital.
The kitchen is next to the theater, which cancelled its 10 a.m. performance of Alice in Wonderland.
Firefighters re-opened the resort around 11:30 a.m., with no property damage resulting from the incident, Kruger said. Firefighters from Long Grove, Lake Forest, Buffalo Grove and Countryside assisted.
Much of the Marriott golf course and other parts of the property remain underwater, flooded by the bulging Des Plaines River — which may rise again as rain began shortly after the firefighters left. Marriott officials did not return calls or e-mails for comment on Tuesday.
“Marriott’s had a tough week, with the flooding and everything,” Kruger said. “This was the last thing they needed.