Smoke detector alerts nanny, saves child in Evanston
By BOB SEIDENBERG | firstname.lastname@example.org April 9, 2013 12:42PM
Updated: May 12, 2013 1:12PM
EVANSTON — Officials say a smoke detector was key in alerting residents to a fire in a single-family home on the 1700 block of Dempster Street.
Firefighters responded at 4:39 p.m. Monday to a call of a fire in the basement of the house, said Division Chief Dwight Hohl, the department’s media relations officer.
Hohl said a nanny was at the home with a 7-year-old child and heard a smoke alarm. Smelling smoke, they quickly exited the home while calling 911.
Hohl said the first fire company to arrive also received a report of a possible victim inside the house.
Neighborhing fire department were called in to help.
Hohl said the fire was contained to the basement and quickly extinguished.
Firefighters found no one inside, he said.
He said the working smoke detectors, along with the quick thinking of the nanny and fast response of fire personnel all contributed to bringing the incident under control with no injuries and minimal damage to property.