suntimes
BRISK 
Weather Updates

7 hospitalized after Logan Square carbon monoxide leak

Updated: March 27, 2013 12:21AM



A blocked furnace may be to blame for a carbon monoxide leak in a Northwest Side home that sent seven people to area hospitals Tuesday night, Chicago authorities said.

Emergency crews called five ambulances to the home in the 2600 block of North Springfield Avenue about 7:50 p.m. and found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home, authorities said.

Crews found 300 parts per million of the gas in the Logan Square home, which can be fatal over a short period of time at that level, Fire Media Affairs spokesman Larry Langford said.

Seven people were taken to Norwegian-American Hospital and Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, all in good condition, according to fire officials.

A furnace in the residence was blocked and leaking gas, Langford said.

People’s Gas crews shut off the heater, ventilated the building and checked other units later Tuesday night, utility spokesperson Kathy Hartman said.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.