Weather Updates

Police identify man killed at West Hinsdale crossing

Investigators scene Stough Avenue where Metrtrastruck killed pedestrian. Passengers were still traan hour after incident. | Kimberly Fornek—Sun-Times Media

Investigators on the scene at Stough Avenue, where a Metra train struck and killed a pedestrian. Passengers were still on the train an hour after the incident. | Kimberly Fornek—Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 46426239
tmspicid: 17190032
fileheaderid: 7745625

Updated: March 22, 2013 2:40PM

HINSDALE — The pedestrian killed after being struck by an inbound Metra train Monday afternoon has been identified as 42-year-old Dale Bowling of Clarendon Hills.

Police said Bowling was seen running toward the direction of the train about 3 p.m. by witnesses at an area away from the grade crossing. Police say preliminary investigation indicates the incident was not an accident.

“It appears to be an intentional act,” Bloom said Monday evening.

Based on witness accounts and video from a security camera at the station platform, Bloom said it looked like the man knowingly walked in front of the train.

“That’s horrible,” said Debra Moran of Westmont, when she got off the train in downtown Hinsdale Monday evening and learned someone had been killed on the track.

“There have been so many lately,” she said. “There was just one in Westmont.”

A 31-year-old Hickory Hills man was killed March 7 at Cass Avenue in Westmont.

“I don’t know what Metra can do,” Moran said, “if someone is going to walk in front of a train. The train can’t stop in time.”

“Obviously, it’s sad,” said Dick Berdelle of Clarendon Hills. “Unfortunately, it seems to be happening all too often. You can’t blame the railroad. I think Metra does a good job.”

Berdelle boarded the 5:10 p.m. train in Chicago’s Union Station to head home.

The train followed its normal schedule until it got close to La Grange.

“It started to slow down and then it stopped at the Highlands station (in Hinsdale). They told us it was going to be there for awhile. The trains were backed up. I waited awhile and then got off.”~.

Police are continuing to determine the cause of the incident pending the investigation of the DuPage County Coroner’s Office. This is a death investigation and remains open at this time.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.