Illinois authorities mistakenly release man convicted for Indiana murder
BY JORDAN OWEN Staff Reporter January 31, 2013 7:04PM
Steven L. Robbins | Cook County Sheriff's photo
Updated: February 1, 2013 1:36AM
Illinois authorities mistakenly released a 44-year-old man convicted for an Indiana murder, officials said.
Steven L. Robbins was serving a 50-year sentence for murder and carrying a handgun without a license in Indiana, the Indiana Department of Corrections said Thursday.
Robbins had been released from Indiana State Prison on a court order to Cook County Circuit Court for drug charges on Tuesday, and the charges against him were dropped, officials said.
For reasons not yet known, Illinois authorities released him Tuesday instead of returning him to the Indiana Department of Correction and he is at large, officials said.
A warrant for Robbins’ arrest has been issued in both Indiana and Illinois, officials said.
His earliest projected release date was June 29, 2029.
Cook County officials acknowledged the mistake but declined to provide details about the incident.
Robbins, born in Gary, is a black male, about 5 feet 5 inches tall, and weighs 190 pounds. He has a tattoo on the right side of his neck that reads “Nicole.”
Anyone with information regarding Robbins can call 911 or Crime Stoppers at (317) 252-8477.
