suntimes
MEDIOCRE 
Weather Updates

Rival of Cicero Town President Larry Dominick asks for another review of the incumbent’s ballot eligibility

Town President Larry Dominick. | Rich Hein~Sun-Times

Town President Larry Dominick. | Rich Hein~Sun-Times

storyidforme: 43452712
tmspicid: 7242252
fileheaderid: 3310149

Updated: February 24, 2013 6:35AM



A rival of Cicero Town President Larry Dominick is asking for another review of the incumbent’s eligibility to be on the ballot.

Lawyers for town collector candidate David Donahue said the court-appointed electoral board was wrong when it ruled last week it couldn’t determine whether Dominick owed money to the town, leaving Dominick on the ballot, according to the request for judicial review filed Tuesday in Cook County Circuit Court.

The challengers were trying to get Dominick tossed off the ballot for alleged unpaid license and permit fees. They alleged Dominick was a partner in a plumbing company owned by George Hunter, and that the company owes the town money for years of business licenses.

The challengers also alleged that Dominick built or expanded a new garage at his home but didn’t have permits and didn’t pay the permit rate to the town. If those allegations had been proven, Dominick could have been disqualified.

But the three-member election board unanimously ruled that Dominick could remain on the Feb. 26 ballot. It determined that without prior complaints to the town about the unpaid fees, which could have included tickets against Dominick, it couldn’t determine if Dominick owed money because it’s not within its jurisdiction.

Before it made its final decision, the board had tossed from the challenger’s petition allegations that Dominick owed money to the town for personal use of town resources.

In the request for a review by a circuit court judge, the lawyers for Donahue and a citizen challenger say that should have never happened and the board should have taken up the issue.

Richard Means, a lawyer for Dominick, said he’s not surprised by the appeal.

“We are hopeful and expect that the decision of the electoral board will be upheld,” he said.

Meanwhile, Dominick opponent Juan Ochoa, who had been one of the challengers to Dominick’s candidacy, did not file an appeal because it would be redundant to the one that has been filed, a spokeswoman said.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.