Quinn gets go-ahead to close Tamms, Dwight prisons and 2 juvenile centers
BY DAVE MCKINNEY Sun-Times Springfield Bureau Chief email@example.com December 19, 2012 8:56PM
Updated: January 21, 2013 4:08PM
SPRINGFIELD — A Downstate judge Wednesday removed the last obstacle that kept Gov. Pat Quinn’s administration from closing two prisons and several other state facilities in a move the governor said eventually will save the state $100 million a year.
“The taxpayers of Illinois are the real winners today,” Quinn said in a prepared statement announcing the dissolution of an injunction order blocking the closures that had been issued by an Alexander County judge.
The decision means the state’s super-max prison in Downstate Tamms and the all-women’s prison in Dwight will be mothballed, along with juvenile centers in Joliet and Murphysboro.
Three adult transition centers also are affected by the injunction, which was lifted Wednesday by the Alexander County judge.
Quinn said inmates will be transferred to other facilities, and staff have been offered jobs at other state sites. The governor’s office said the closures would be finished “in the coming weeks.”