Hoffman Estates: No sexual abuse in hazing
BY JON SEIDEL Staff Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org December 10, 2012 1:24PM
Updated: December 10, 2012 5:00PM
There was no sexual abuse during an alleged hazing incident on the Hoffman Estates High School boys’ varsity basketball team last month, the school district concluded in a report released Monday, and police confirm there will be no charges.
The students involved have also repeatedly told the school district their coaches didn’t know about it.
Township High School District 211 prepared its report in response to a Sun-Times record request. It said the basketball team’s coach was told Nov. 30 the team had “engaged in an initiation process that included physical and sexual misconduct” off campus.
That “initiation” included grabbing and pinning new members down “like a pile-on,” according to District 211’s investigation. There was also “grabbing, engaging in horseplay, slapping and hitting on top of the clothes on the target student’s buttocks and sometimes in the groin.”
District officials said the allegations were immediately reported and, during the investigation, the claims of sexual abuse were recanted. The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services chose not to pursue the case, the district said, and Hoffman Estates Police Sgt. Darin Felgenhauer confirmed no charges will be filed.
School administrators forced the team to forfeit three games as punishment.