suntimes
POWERFULĀ 
Weather Updates

Carbon monoxide leak at school sends 25 students to hospital

Chicago Fire Dept. scene possible carbmonoxide leak WashingtSchool Far South Side Monday Nov. 5 2012. | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times

Chicago Fire Dept. on the scene of a possible carbon monoxide leak at the Washington School on the Far South Side Monday, Nov. 5, 2012. | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times

storyidforme: 39566530
tmspicid: 14606740
fileheaderid: 6669182
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: November 5, 2012 3:58PM



About 25 children were hospitalized in good condition after a carbon monoxide leak at a school in the Burnside neighborhood Monday afternoon.

The children were suffering from nausea, vomiting and headaches before being hospitalized in good condition, according to Fire Media Affairs.

A Level 1 HazMat was called about 12:45 p.m. for the leak at Harold Washington Elementary School at 9130 S. University Ave., on the Far South Side, according to Fire Media Affairs.

Firefighters ventilated the third floor of the building with fans.

The leak may be due to faulty boiler.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.