Weather Updates

Police shoot 2nd suspect in 3 hours, 5th in a week

Updated: September 10, 2012 8:00AM

For the second time in three hours, police shot and wounded a suspect, making it the fifth police-involved shooting in a week.

The latest shooting happened about 12:05 a.m. in the 7900 block of South South Shore Drive, police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said, citing preliminary information.

He confirmed a suspect was wounded, but could not immediately release additional details.

About 9:26 p.m. Sunday, a robbery suspect was shot and seriously wounded by police in the 5400 block of West Bloomingdale Avenue, according to a statement from police News Affairs.

Grand Central District officers were responding to a call of a robbery in progress when they saw a male who matched the description of the robbery suspect, the statement said. The officers tried to question him, but the suspect refused to the stop.

The suspect then threatened to attack the officers and “moved toward his waistband and produced an object,” according to the statement. So officers fired shots and struck him.

Paramedics took one person in serious condition to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, Fire Media Affairs said.

The statement made no mention of a weapon being recovered.

These two shootings are the latest in a series of police-involved shootings since last Tuesday.

On Friday at 1:45 a.m., Gresham District Police officers saw a van traveling with its passenger door open in the 600 block of East 75th Street, according to a statement from police News Affairs. The officers began following the van and a suspect exited the vehicle with a gun in his hand that he pointed at officers.

The officers stated their position and a foot and vehicle pursuit began as the suspect fled northbound on foot, the statement said. The officers were then confronted by the suspect in an alley on 75th Street between Michigan and Wabash avenues.

The suspect pointed the gun at the officers who then shot him, the statement said. The suspect was arrested and hospitalized.

No police officers were injured and a weapon was recovered, the statement said.

The suspect, indentified as 20-year-old Jovan Killingsworth of the 6400 block of South May Street, was charged with four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm to a police officer and one count of unlawful use of a weapon, police said. He was ordered held on $500,000 bond.

Two suspects were also shot within three hours early last Tuesday.

Grand Crossing District officers responded at 3:15 a.m. to a call of a suspicious person wearing a ski mask in the 7400 block of South State Street, according to a statement from police.

Upon arriving at the scene, tactical officers saw the masked male committing a robbery with a gun, the statement said. The officers exited their vehicle, announced who they were and ordered the suspect to drop his weapon. He fired at the officers, who returned fire and the suspect fled on foot.

After a brief foot chase, a responding marked police vehicle intercepted the suspect at the corner of 74th and State streets, the statement said. The suspect fired at the officers, who returned fire and he fled through rear yards in the 7400 block of South Wabash Avenue, where gunfire was exchanged.

The suspect was found hiding on the front porch of a home in the 7400 block of South Wabash and resisted arrest, the statement said. He was arrested after being Tasered and was hospitalized with several gunshot wounds.

No police officers were injured, the statement said.

A weapon, ski mask, and hooded sweatshirt were recovered at the scene.

Earlier that same night, police shot and wounded a 17-year-old.

About 12:30 a.m., officers from the Area South Gun Team were on patrol in the 8900 block of South Union Avenue when they attempted to stop a curfew violator, a police statement said.

As the officers approached, the teen fled on foot. Officers gave chase through several yards and eventually to an alley, where teen pointed a weapon in the direction of an officer. An exchange of gunfire ensued, resulting in Jackson being struck, according to police.

He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn with several gunshot wounds, Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said.

A weapon was recovered, police said. No officers were injured.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.