Weather Updates

Police shoot two people within 3-1/2 hours

Updated: September 4, 2012 3:22PM

Police shot two people within 3-1/2 hours on the South Side early Tuesday, including a 17-year-old “curfew violator” who police say shot at them in the Gresham neighborhood.

In the Gresham shooting, police shot a “male curfew violator” in the 8900 block of South Union Avenue about 12:25 a.m., according to a statement from police News Affairs.

Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said the two plainclothes officers from the Area South Gun Team were patrolling on 90th Street between Lowe and Union avenues when they spotted a teen boy and called him over to their car to question him, announcing they were police.

As officers approached to talk to the boy, he started running through several yards, with the officers in pursuit, according to the News Affairs statement.

The chase eventually ended in an alley where the boy pointed a gun in the direction of one of the officers, according to the statement. There was an exchange of gunfire, and the boy was struck.

The boy was arrested and hospitalized and a weapon was recovered, the statement said. No police officers were injured.

The teen was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn with several gunshot wounds, Camden said, He did not know the boy’s condition or where in his body he’d been shot.

The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating, but spokesman Larry Merritt could not immediately provide additional details early Tuesday.

In the second shooting, police wounded an armed robbery suspect in the Park Manor neighborhood about 3:40 a.m. in the 7400 block of South State Street, police said.

While responding to a call of a suspicious person wearing a ski mask, tactical officers saw the masked male committing a robbery with a gun, according to a statement from police.

The officers exited their vehicle, announced who they were and ordered the suspect to drop his weapon. He fired at the officers, who returned fire and the suspect fled on foot.

After a brief foot chase, a responding marked police vehicle intercepted the suspect at the corner of 74th and State streets, the statement said. The suspect fired at the officers, who returned fire and he fled through rear yards in the 7400 block of South Wabash Avenue, where gunfire was exchanged.

The suspect was found hiding on the front porch of a home in the 7400 block of South Wabash and resisted arrest, the statement said. He was arrested after being Tasered and was hospitalized with several gunshot wounds.

No police officers were injured, the statement said.

A weapon, ski mask, and hooded sweatshirt were recovered.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.