suntimes
SOAKINGĀ 
Weather Updates

Nine taken to hospitals for carbon monoxide exposure

Updated: June 16, 2012 12:56PM



Nine people -- two of them in serious to critical condition -- have been taken to are hospitals after they were exposed to elevated carbon monoxide levels at a home in the Far South Side South Saturday morning.

An EMS Plan I, which brings at least five ambulances to the scene, was called about 10:42 a.m. after elevated carbon monoxide levels were reported in the 10100 South Hoxie, according to Fire Media Affairs.

By about 11:30 a.m. the building was being ventilated and people were being treated at the scene, according to Fire Media Affairs. Nine of those residents -- two in serious to critical condition, four in fair to serious condition, and three in good condition -- were then taken to hospitals, according to Fire Media Affairs. One other person treated at the scene did not want to be taken to a hospital. As of shortly before noon, fire crews continued to ventilate the building.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.