Cellini sentencing for corruption delayed after heart attack
BY NATASHA KORECKI Federal Courts Reporter firstname.lastname@example.org June 14, 2012 11:16AM
William Cellini’s sentencing on his corruption conviction in a case involving imprisoned former Gov. Rod Blagojevich has been delayed in the wake of a heart attack suffered by the 77-year-old Springfield businessman and longtime political power broker.
Cellini had been scheduled to be sentenced Friday. His sentencing is now set for July 20.
Last week, a family spokesman said Cellini was released from Springfield’s Memorial Hospital, where he suffered a heart attack two days earlier during a medical procedure.
During the procedure, a blockage in an artery leading from the heart was corrected, they said, but it dislodged a clot that caused the heart attack.
Cellini had been experiencing fatigue and difficulty breathing in recent months. He had been ordered to undergo more testing as well as to begin rehabilitation.
Last year, Cellini, whose companies over the decades have won hundreds of millions of dollars in state of Illinois contracts, was convicted of conspiring to shake down the Oscar-winning producer of “Million Dollar Baby” for a contribution to then-Gov. Blagojevich’s campaign fund.