suntimes
ROUGH 
Weather Updates

Web video shows brutal assault on homeless man on CTA Red Line

.

WARNING: The video contains violent content.

Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: May 9, 2012 10:00AM



Chicago Police are investigating a startling Internet video that shows a young man punching an older man in the face on the subway platform of the CTA’s Chicago Avenue stop on the Red Line.

The older man drops to the ground and lies motionless after the right uppercut. The puncher then boards the train and laughs with friends about the attack.

The video was graphic enough to grab the attention of police, who are trying to find the victim, apparently a homeless man, to see if he wants to press charges.

But charges may be unlikely as the attack happened several months ago, and the victim has not come forward to file a report.

“It is an open investigation and detectives are still trying to find the people involved,” police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala said Friday.

The incident is believed to have happened in April, but the video recently surfaced on worldstarhiphop.com.

“We were not made aware of the incident until the video was posted a few days ago,” Zala said.

So far neither the victim, who was reportedly hospitalized after being struck, nor the attacker, have been identified, he said.

Police cannot press charges unless the victim files a complaint, according to Zala.

In the video the victim is shown slowly walking through a crowd in the station. The young man follows him and taps him on the shoulder. Whomever was filming the video follows the attacker as he approaches the man.

The attacker and the victim appear to exchange words before the younger man throws a right uppercut and the victim falls backward to the ground.

The young man and the person filming then get on a train as a group of people laugh about the punch. On the platform, another passenger comes to the victim’s side and appears to make a call on a cell phone.

A CTA spokeswoman said the matter is being investigated by police after the “cell phone video” surfaced on the web.

“The CTA will assist in any way,” spokeswoman Catherine Hosinski said Friday. “That would include review of footage from the station.”



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.