Weather Updates

Eighth man charged in videotaped sexual assault of three girls

Ramel Stevens | Chicago police photo

Ramel Stevens | Chicago police photo

storyidforme: 56922080
tmspicid: 20825642
fileheaderid: 9715967

Updated: October 26, 2013 7:22PM

An eighth man has been charged with taking part in the videotaped sexual assaults of two teenage sisters and another 16-year-old in a moving van on the West Side.

Ramel Stevens, 20, of Cicero, was ordered held in lieu of $500,000 bail Saturday in the Oct. 19 attack.

The rapes were videotaped on a cell phone camera, authorities said.

On Friday, bail was set at $500,000 for 17-year-old Maurice Johnson and Vanburen Robinson, 18, of Maywood, after the three victims identified the two as attackers, authorities


Stevens also was identified in a photo array by the victims, authorities said.

Also charged in the incident are Fitzpatrick Durham, 18; Kelvin Pryor, 17; Sadarius Price, 17; Joshua Grayer, 18, and Denzel Clay, 19.

On the night of the sexual assaults, the victims had been walking in the 700 block of North Parkside when they were approached by two young men who had been driving around with others in the van, Cook County prosecutors said. The girls agreed to get in the van, and two of the girls, both 16, drank the alcohol and smoked the marijuana they were offered by the seven to eight males inside the vehicle, prosecutors said.

The younger girl, 15, did not drink or take drugs.

All three girls were assaulted, and one of the two sisters was raped by Johnson, prosecutors said. They said that girl, who was extremely intoxicated and couldn’t hold her head up, was crying and had tears streaming down her face during the attacks.

When the 15-year-old started to scream, yell and pound on the walls of the van, Robinson allegedly held her down while another punched her, then continued to hold her while his accomplice raped her, prosecutors said.

The attackers eventually threw the 15-year-old out of the van because she was making too much noise, and as she was being dragged out, she grabbed one of the other victims with her, prosecutors said.

The other girl remained inside the van, and the young men ended up driving her to Durham’s home, where she was raped again, prosecutors said.

Witnesses who saw the screaming 15-year-old eventually led police to Durham’s home, where the last victim was found in the basement, prosecutors said. They said her blood-alcohol level was .237 percent.

Prosecutors said one other suspect remains at-large.


Twitter: @tinasfon

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.