suntimes
DRAFTY 
Weather Updates

Man charged in fatal shooting of Chicago teen arrested in L.A.

Maps

Updated: April 10, 2013 7:32PM



A man charged with murdering a Chicago teenager in the Back of the Yards neighborhood last summer was arrested in Los Angeles and is expected to return to Chicago for trial.

Martin “Garbage” Ruiz, an alleged member of the Latin King LaRaza gang, fled Illinois after the fatal shooting of Jose Ruvalcaba, 15, on Aug. 12, 2012, according to documents filed previously in U.S. District Court and unsealed Wednesday.

Ruvalcaba died less than a half-hour after he was shot in the abdomen, groin and left arm near his home in the 1900 block of West 47th Street, Chicago Police said at the time.

Authorities identified Ruiz, 24, as a suspect and issued a warrant for his arrest on a first-degree murder charge in January, according to an FBI release.

After investigators in Chicago learned that Ruiz could be in Los Angeles, FBI officials and Los Angeles Police stopped a man matching his description and arrested Ruiz on Friday, the release said.

Ruiz appeared in court Monday in Los Angeles, according to the FBI.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.