Weather Updates

No bail for suspect in FBI-involved shooting

Updated: March 29, 2013 1:44PM

A 52-year-old man was ordered held without bail Friday after he allegedly tried to run over an FBI agent earlier this week on Chicago’s Near West Side.

FBI agents fired shots at a car after the driver, who agents saw stealing hubcaps from a vehicle, tried to run an agent over, according to a criminal complaint filed Friday.

William Tapes, 52, whose last known address was in the 100 block of North Central Avenue in Chicago, surrendered to the FBI on Thursday and was charged in a criminal complaint filed Friday with one count of assault on a federal officer.

The shooting happened about 12:30 p.m. Monday in the parking lot of a Jewel-Osco in the 1200 block of South Ashland Avenue.

According to the complaint, FBI special agents saw a man, later identified as Tapes, kneeling near a vehicle’s tires and suspected he was stealing the center of the chrome wheels on that vehicle.

Tapes then got into the driver’s seat of a car with two other people inside, and the agents approached and identified themselves as “police” and “FBI,” the complaint states.

The agents told Tapes to turn off the engine and get out of the car, but he put the vehicle in reverse and abruptly backed up. Agents continued to tell Tapes and the passengers to get out of the car, but none complied, and the vehicle suddenly lurched forward, and tried to drive around the FBI vehicle, according to the complaint.

Tapes then headed directly toward one of the agents, who had to jump out of the way to avoid being run over and fired his handgun into the car, the complaint states. But the car then left the parking lot at a high speed and was next seen after it had been involved in a crash.

The woman in the car remained at the scene, but Tapes and the other man left. A witness reported the driver of the car crawled out of the driver’s side window and left the scene on foot.

Paramedics took two people to Stroger Hospital, according to Fire Media Affairs. No FBI agents were injured. Chicago Police said at least one of the wounded was a man shot in the hip.

According to investigators, friends and family of Tapes reached out to the FBI on Wednesday to arrange for his surrender. Tapes appeared Friday morning in U.S. District Court before Magistrate Judge Jeffrey Cole, who ordered him held without bond pending his next court appearance at 10 a.m. on April 3.

If convicted, he faces up to 20 years in prison.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.