Second coach in Maine West hazing scandal seeks hearing
BY JON SEIDEL Staff Reporter/jseidel@suntimes.com February 7, 2013 10:40AM
Maine South soccer coaches Michael Divincenzo and Emilio Rodriguez are under investigation in the wake of hazing allegations at the school. In the wake of the charges, District 219 decided to update its student harrassment policies. | Maine South yearbo
Related Stories
Updated: March 10, 2013 6:11AM
The second Maine West High School soccer coach facing dismissal over a hazing scandal at the northwest suburban school has requested a hearing where he may fight for his job.
The Maine Township High School District 207 school board voted to fire freshman soccer coach Emilio Rodriguez last month, claiming he was “not forthright” when he denied at a meeting in December that he had been told about the alleged initiation of a student.
The board’s resolution said Rodriguez was told that at least two freshman soccer players were assaulted and sodomized in September with fingers or sticks as a form of hazing.
Dave Beery, a spokesman for the school district, confirmed Rodriguez’s request for a hearing to contest the decision. Rodriguez did not respond Thursday to a call seeking comment and has declined to speak to the Chicago Sun-Times in the past.
The board also voted late last year to fire varsity soccer coach Michael Divincenzo. Both men are suspended without pay while their dismissal processes play out. Divincenzo also has sought a hearing.












