Second teen charged in fatal shooting of Banner student
BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN Criminal Courts Reporterfirstname.lastname@example.org October 31, 2012 3:08PM
Updated: October 31, 2012 3:44PM
Another teenager has been charged in the fatal shooting of a Banner High School student who had been waiting for the bus after classes.
Jarone Carter had given his 14-year-old cohort the weapon tied to Terrance Wright’s murder on the afternoon of Oct. 19, assistant Cook County state’s attorney Jamie Santini said.
Wright, 18, had been waiting for the bus with 15 to 20 others students when Carter, the 14-year-old and another uncharged offender accosted him in the 9900 block of South Yates, Santini said.
The 14-year-old allegedly pointed the weapon at Wright and demanded money while Carter, 16, stood watching. The 14-year-old and the uncharged co-offender tried to reach into Wright’s pockets, but Wright refused to give up his property and told the juvenile to get the gun out of his face, Santini said.
Wright punched the 14-year-old and tried to grab the gun but the gun went off during the struggle, a bullet piercing Wright’s chest, Santini said.
After Wright fell to the ground, Carter allegedly demanded his gun back from the 14-year-old, who complied.
The three culprits then fled, Santini said.
Carter, who is also a student at Banner High School according to a police report, was identified by witnesses in a photo array and line-up, Santini said.
He was ordered held in lieu of $2 million bail Wednesday.
The 14-year-old is currently being held by juvenile authorities.