Weather Updates

Two suspects shot by police on the South Side

Updated: October 29, 2012 9:44AM

Police shot two people in separate shootings on the South Side Sunday night.

In the first shooting, uniformed officers on patrol in the Englewood neighborhood saw several males firing at another group of males about 10 p.m. in the 5700 block of South Wolcott Avenue, according to a statement from police.

As the offenders approached, one of the males turned towards them and police ordered him to drop his weapon, police said. He refused and police exchanged gunfire with the male, who then fled on foot.

A male was discovered with gunshot wounds to the leg and torso and hospitalized, police said.

No police officers were injured and a weapon was recovered at the scene.

According to Pat Camden, spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police, the officers found the three males spraying a home with bullets in the 5700 block of South Wolcott.

The man who was shot was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said. The man’s condition was not released.

“Uniform police show up while they are shooting at the house and they turn toward you? What are you supposed to do?” Camden said.

Two males, including the injured male, are in custody and a gun was recovered at the scene, Camden said. Police are still searching for a third male, he said.

The second police-involved shooting happened about 11:15 p.m. in the 8200 block of South Drexel Avenue in the Chatham neighborhood, Alfaro said.

Patrolling officers were flagged down by a victim of an armed robbery, police said. When the officers saw and approached a male matching the description of the robber, the suspect fled on foot.

After chasing the male into a gangway, the suspect fired shots at the officers, police said. The suspect again turned and fired at officers as the foot chase continued. An officer then shot the male, who was taken into custody and hospitalized.

No officers were injured and a weapon was recovered at the scene, police said.

Camden said a man approached officers, pointing out a male he claimed robbed him. When officers tried to question the suspect, he ran.

While officers chased the male — one in a police cruiser, the other on foot — he exchanged gunfire with police before running down a gangway, Camden said.

As police closed in on him, the man turned and pointed a gun at an officer, who shot the man, Camden said.

A gun and a ski mask were recovered, Camden said.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.