Weather Updates

Teen charged in police-involved shooting on South Side

A 17-year-old boy who was shot by police Monday while allegedly fleeing from officers has been charged.

Dalon Stevens, of the 6300 block of South Rhodes Avenue, faces one count of aggravated assault of a police officer with a firearm, according to a statement issued by police News Affairs early Wednesday.

On Monday, Area Central Saturation Team officers were near 62nd Street and Rhodes Avenue about 7:40 p.m. responding to a call of shots fired when they saw two people running from police, police News Affairs said.

Stevens allegedly turned and pointed a gun at officers, who shot him, police said. A second suspect who fled from police ran into traffic on South Saint Lawrence Avenue, where a responding police vehicle hit him.

That suspect—described by police News Affairs as a juvenile—was released with no charges filed against him.

Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said officers first spotted the two suspects while filling out contact cards on a group of people near 63rd Street and Rhodes Avenue.

Another group of four males -- including the two suspects -- walked by, and the people speaking with police told the officers they should be stopping the group of four, Camden said. Two of the four males took off running when police approached.

Police said Stevens allegedly led officers on a foot chase down a gangway in the middle of the block between 64th Street and South Saint Lawrence Avenue.

He allegedly tried to climb over a fence and was unable to, and started running back down the alley, gun still in hand, directly at the police officer chasing him, Camden said. The officer fired in self-defense, he said.

Stevens was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he remained as of early Wednesday, police and fire officials said, adding that the male juvenile hit by the car was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.

Ilana Rosenzweig, who heads the Independent Police Review Authority, said investigators were sent to the scene but declined further comment.

No officers were hurt in the incident, according to the News Affairs statement, which did not indicate whether police recovered a weapon.

Area Central detectives and the IPRA are investigating.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.