I’ll buy another gun, vows senior who lost his after shooting intruder
BY STEFANO ESPOSITO AND LAUREN FITZPATRICK Staff Reporters April 2, 2012 9:26AM
Homer Wright, 81-yo Englewood resident who shot an intruder as he arrives at court at 51st & Wentworth. Monday , April 2, 2012 | Brian Jackson~Chicago Sun-Times
Updated: May 4, 2012 8:06AM
Homer Wright says he won’t hesitate to buy another gun — or use it to defend himself or his South Side tavern.
The 81-year-old Englewood man who shot a teen who allegedly had broken into his home said Monday he was happy that weapons charges against him were dropped, but he was annoyed that cops had seized his gun.
Wright said he will buy another one if he gets the chance.
“I’ll get arrested again, if somebody be breaking in here. I’m going to use it,” Wright said.
Prosecutors on Monday dropped weapons charges against Wright. He had been charged with unlawful use of a weapon because, as a felon, he is not allowed to have a gun.
After a morning court appearance, Wright sat at the bar inside his Englewood tavern Monday afternoon, watching reruns of the 1970s cop drama, “Kojak.”
The red stucco tavern, at the corner of 65th and Morgan, was padlocked shut. Wright said he was happy the charges were dropped, but he was fed up with reporters bothering him.
Wright also said he was peeved that law enforcement had seized his gun. If the price is right, he said, he plans to buy another.
“If the opportunity presents itself, I sure am,” Wright said. “If somebody came by with one that’s clean, I’m gonna buy it.”
Wright said it’s unfair that he has been left with nothing to defend himself.
Court records show Wright pleaded guilty to a 1990 theft charge and served two years on probation, and then served 2œ years on probation for a 1994 charge of unlawful use of a weapon.
Anthony Robinson, 19, was trying to break into Wright’s home behind the tavern to steal liquor about 6:30 a.m. March 26 when Wright shot him in the ankle, authorities said.
Robinson, of the 6600 block of South Wood, was charged with burglary.
After Wright was charged, family and neighbors rallied around him. They said he has run Sheree’s Past Time tavern in the front of his home and lived in the back with his wife and family for more than 40 years.
His grandson said the building had been targeted several times by burglars in the last year or so.
“You see, when you’re breaking into peoples’ places and you’re not supposed to be there, you’re supposed to do what you have to do, and that’s what I did,” Wright told WMAQ-Channel 5 last Tuesday. “I think it’s wrong and it’s unjust that I can’t protect me and my whatever, and that’s wrong.”
Court records show Robinson has been arrested at least 13 times since 2009, mostly on theft, burglary and minor drug charges. Records also show he skipped multiple hearings. He was being held on $150,000 bail.