Weather Updates

Murder victim liked Walgreens job

Troy Camer Walgreen's  greeter/security guard thwas gunned down  300 W.  Chicago Walgreens  Chicago . family photo.

Troy Cameron , Walgreen's greeter/security guard that was gunned down at the 300 W. Chicago Walgreens in Chicago . family photo. Chicago Sun-Times

storyidforme: 24588111
tmspicid: 9011859
fileheaderid: 4095205

Updated: February 25, 2012 8:12AM

Troy Cameron applied for a full-time factory job Friday so he could better care for his 2-year-old son, family said.

Hours later, Cameron, a greeter at a River North Walgreens, was gunned down there by a man who later killed himself in Evanston, Chicago Police said.

The man shot himself to death about a block from where a 15-year-old Skokie boy was found murdered in Rogers Park with the same caliber gun, Evanston Police said.

Police were investigating whether the two deaths were connected.

Cameron, 22, played basketball with friends and applied for a job at the South Side Ford plant. Later, he drove a car his father recently gave him to his part-time job at the Walgreens store at 315 W. Chicago, said Luella Pickens, Cameron’s aunt and legal guardian.

“We are deeply saddened by this incident, and our thoughts and prayers are with our employee’s family,” Walgreens spokesman Robert Elfinger said.

About 10 p.m., Dante Simmons entered the store and shot Cameron multiple times, officials said . Cameron’s body was found on the street outside the store.

Employees said Simmons had worked at the store, and WMAQ-Channel 5 reported he was fired and had phoned in threats to the store.

“He said he liked” working at Walgreens, said Pickens, who had raised Cameron since he was 5. “He liked the people he worked with and talked about his supervisor.”

She said Cameron didn’t like to fight or argue with people and often would talk friends down in aggressive situations. She wondered whether Cameron was trying to talk down the gunman, too.

Cameron and his Wells High School sweetheart had a son, Tre, who will turn 3 next weekend, Pickens said. He was the oldest of nine children, leaving behind seven sisters and a brother.

“He was an outgoing person who cared about everybody,” Pickens said. “He loved his family. He cared about his sister, nieces, nephews, mother and father.”

Pickens said police did not tell her why he was shot, and she did not know Simmons, whom authorities said was found dead hours later in the north suburbs.

Simmons, 33, of Rogers Park, was found dead in an alley in the 100 block of Clyde Avenue in Evanston, according to the medical examiner’s office.

He died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His body was found covered with snow with a 9mm handgun nearby, Evanston Police said.

Police were investigating whether Simmons’ suicide could be related to the murder of teenager Anton Sanders, who was found about 10:50 p.m. Friday in the 1800 block of West Juneway Terrace on the Chicago/Evanston border — about a block away from where Simmons’ body was found, police said.

However, Chicago Police would not confirm that Simmons was a suspect in Sanders’ death, saying they are waiting the results of ballistics tests.

Sanders recently moved into the Niles North boundaries of Niles Township High School District 219, but he did not attended any of the district’s high schools, according to a statement from District 219 Supt. Nanciann Gatta.

Neighbors confirmed that Sanders had recently moved to the two-story house in the 4200 block of Golf Road in Skokie, but none knew the boy or his family, who could not be reached for comment.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.