Weather Updates

Man charged with killing pregnant teen

Timothy Jones charged with fatally shooting Charinez Jeffers17 who was pregnant. Jefferson's baby survived.

Timothy Jones, charged with fatally shooting Charinez Jefferson, 17, who was pregnant. Jefferson's baby survived.

storyidforme: 17093158
tmspicid: 6139153
fileheaderid: 2866172

Updated: August 22, 2011 7:14AM

A Southwest Side man has been charged with fatally shooting a pregnant 17-year-old girl Tuesday in the Marquette Park neighborhood, police said. Her baby was delivered by doctors and survived the attack.

Timothy Jones, 18, of the 6300 block of South Rockwell Street, was charged with one count of first-degree murder, according to a police News Affairs release. He is scheduled to appear in bond court later Monday.

Jones was arrested at his home and was identified by witnesses as the person who shot and killed Charinez Jefferson Aug. 16, police said.

Charinez Jefferson was pronounced dead at 11:11 p.m. Tuesday at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn after suffering multiple gunshot wounds at 64th and Whipple streets according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. An autopsy Wednesday determined Jefferson died of multiple gunshot wounds and her death was ruled a homicide, according to the medical examiner’s office.

She was walking with a group of people in the 3000 block of West 64th Street about 10:35 p.m. when an unknown male exited a vehicle and began firing at the group, police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said.

Everybody scattered, but Jefferson was hit multiple times. Her companions returned to find her lying wounded on the ground and calling for help.

Jefferson, who was six months pregnant, suffered gunshot wounds to the body and a critical gunshot wound to the head, according to Fire Media Affairs.

Paramedics found Jefferson in full cardiac arrest and performed advanced life support treatment as they took her initially in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Sources said she was shot at least three times in the heart, once in the foot and once in the back of the head, and confirmed that doctors were able to deliver the baby.

Police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli said the baby is a boy. Fire Media Affairs spokesman Will Knight said the baby survived and was in “stable” condition a day after the attack.

Wentworth Area detectives are investigating.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.