Felon charged with gunning down man traveling in car
BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN Criminal Courts Reporter August 13, 2014 2:56PM
Edgar Guevara. | Photo from Chicago Police.
A felon currently behind bars on a weapons conviction was ordered held in lieu of $1 million bail Wednesday for allegedly gunning down a man traveling in the back seat of a Pontiac Grand Prix.
Edgar Guevara, 18, was standing on a sidewalk and shouting gang slogans with some other males in the early morning hours of Aug. 19, 2012 when he took out a gun and fired several shots at a passing car in the 3000 block of South Pulaski Road, Cook County prosecutors said.
One of the bullets struck 22-year-old Alex Ruiz in the head, Assistant State’s Attorney Colleen Rogers said.
At the time, witnesses told police they heard a “loud pop” and saw the rear window shatter. That’s when others in the Grand Prix realized Ruiz, who was in the back seat, had been shot, police said.
The driver drove to a nearby gas station where a 9-1-1 call was placed.
Ruiz, of the 2700 block of North Harding, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he died.
Guevara, of the 3000 block of South Tripp Avenue, is currently serving a one year prison term for an aggravated use of an unlawful weapon conviction from earlier this summer, Rogers said.
Contributing: Sun-Times Media Wire