Man, 2 teens charged in murder of 16-year-old in Little Village
BY MATT MCKINNEY Sun-Times Media August 3, 2014 2:50PM
Andrew Anania is charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of a 16-year-old boy. | Photo from Chicago Police
Updated: September 5, 2014 6:24AM
A Chicago man and two teenagers were ordered held without bond Sunday in connection with the killing of a 16-year-old boy in the Little Village neighborhood Friday evening.
Andrew Anania, 18; Ricardo Cortez, 15, and Eduardo Moreno, 15, were charged with first-degree murder in connection with the killing of Ramon Breceda.
The accused teens were aspiring members of the Latin Kings, prosecutors said, and the shooting was part of their initiation into the gang.
Anania, of the 2400 Block of South Troy Street, is accused of firing a 9-millimeter handgun at Breceda, who prosecutors said was a member of a rival gang.
Breceda, of the 2700 block of West 23rd Street, was shot in the chest and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 12:17 a.m. Saturday, according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
The victim fired back at Anania and Cortez, hitting Anania in the arm and Cortez in the buttocks, according to prosecutors.
The shooting took place near 26th Street and California Avenue late Friday evening.
Cortez, of the 3000 Block of West Cermak Road, was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stable.
Police were in the area for “gun-suppression operations” when they heard gunshots and saw Moreno running from the area, prosecutors said.
“I wasn’t the one with the gun!” Moreno allegedly told police, according to court records.
He allegedly told police later that he had been involved in the shooting, prosecutors said.
“I will not release dangerous people on the streets,” Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. said in court Sunday.