Teen facing gun charge in Endia Martin case put on house arrest
BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN Criminal Courts Reporter May 8, 2014 3:32PM
Endia Martin wanted to visit Paris and Rome and join the Navy or go to college, her stepfather said. On Monday, April 28, 2014, the 14-year-old girl was gunned down in a shooting that her parents suspect was related to a Facebook feud with another girl.
Updated: June 10, 2014 6:56AM
A Cook County juvenile court judge Thursday put a 17-year-old boy, among several charged in the shooting death last month of 14-year-old Endia Martin, under house arrest.
Judge Stuart Paul Katz ordered the teen, whom the Sun-Times isn’t naming because he’s been charged as a juvenile, be placed on electronic monitoring, specifying he must remain at home, except for school, doctor’s appointments and church.
The boy, who had the murder weapon for a brief period, had jumped on top of a squad car that pursued him after the April 28 shooting in the 900 block of West Garfield Boulevard, Cook County prosecutors said.
The boy allegedly ended up falling off the squad car and on the ground, but Assistant Public Defender Linda Perez suggested Thursday that police may have hit him with their vehicle.
The boy, who appeared in court after several days of hospitalization, is facing aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm and criminal damage to property charges.
Another 14-year-old girl is charged with shooting Endia in the back after a feud on Facebook, authorities said.
The suspected shooter’s uncle also was arrested and charged in the case. Before the 14-year-old suspect went to confront two girls about an ongoing dispute she had with them about a boy, she asked Donnell Flora for a gun, prosecutors said.
Flora, 25, who is wheelchair-bound, agreed with his niece’s request and got on a bus with what it thought to be the .38-caliber revolver used in the slaying, authorities said.
Once at the 900 block of Garfield Boulevard, Flora gave the girl the gun before the shooting, prosecutors said.
After the shooting, Flora took the gun back — before allegedly handing it off to the 17-year-old boy.
During Thursday’s court hearing, Assistant State’s Attorney Kathleen Kain said the boy was seen knocking a man out of his wheelchair in the 5700 block of Halsted Street before running off with a chrome handgun and a North Face jacket.
The boy eventually dropped the gun as he ran off as police pursued him, Kain said.
The slight, disheveled boy, whose mother, brother and sister accompanied him in court, needs medical attention that cannot be provided if he is taken into custody, Perez said. Neither Perez nor Kain would disclose why the boy needed additional health care.
The boy and his family refused comment.