Weather Updates

Five injured in separate shootings in Chicago on Christmas Eve

Updated: December 25, 2013 3:57AM

Five people were injured in shootings across Chicago on Christmas Eve.

The day’s first shooting occurred about 9:30 a.m., when a 46-year-old man was shot during a home invasion in the 2700 block of North Mango Street on the Northwest Side, police said. He was shot in the head and chest and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he is in serious condition, police said.

Police captured three suspects near the scene.

Jose Barriga, 18, of the 2400 block of North Mango Avenue; Sergio Mayim, 22, of the 2500 block of North Mango Avenue; and Matthew Andras, 25, of the 2200 block of North Menard Avenue were each charged with felony counts of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery and home invasion.

Shortly after 1 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the leg at Lake and Lavergne in the Austin neighborhood, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, but his condition was not available.

About 8:30 p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot multiple times in the 7500 block of South Martin Luther King Drive, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Just after 10 p.m., a 41-year-old man was shot in the left side of the chest in the 8400 block of South Paulina Street in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood, police said. He was in critical condition at Little Company of Mary Hospital and Health Care Centers in Evergreen Park but was expected to be transported to nearby Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

No one is in custody for the previous three shootings as Area detectives investigate.

About 11:30 p.m., a 36-year-old man was arguing with his brother-in-law, 50, inside a home in the 1300 block of South Throop Avenue when he pulled out a gun and shot the other man in the shoulder, police said.

The 50-year-old was taken to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County and is in “stable” condition, police said.

The alleged gunman had a laceration on his head and was taken to Stroger for treatment before police took him in to custody for questioning.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.