Weather Updates

Man found guilty of raping, beating toddler to death

Updated: June 26, 2013 9:00PM

On Christmas Eve five years ago, 23-month-old Promiss Hodges was raped and beaten to death by the man who was supposed to be taking care of her.

The toddler’s numerous injuries, including bruises and lacerations to her liver, weren’t the result of her mother’s spankings and she wasn’t suffering any preexisting illnesses as defense attorneys maintained, Cook County Judge Kenneth Wadas said.

Henry Myles acted alone when he pummeled Promiss and scratched her body with his long nails as she struggled for her life, the judge said Wednesday before finding Myles, 32, guilty of murder and predatory criminal sexual assault.

“He didn’t do it,” a woman wailed upon hearing the verdict, rushing out of Wadas’ courtroom and into the hallway.

Promiss’ mother Altimece Hodges said she was “relieved” by the judge’s ruling following the four-day bench trial.

“Justice has been served,” said Altimece Hodges, who has a tattoo that reads “Promiss 1-1-07” on her right arm.

Altimece Hodges described herself as a former friend of Myles.’

Both had been living at Myles’ cousin’s residence, in the 7100 block of South Champlain at the time of the December 2008 homicide. But only Myles was home watching Promiss and two other minor children related to him when she was killed, prosecutor Nancy Galassini said.

Assistant public defender Christopher Anderson said Myles actually tried to help the child and caused some injuries by improperly performing CPR on her.

That’s how he got blood on his shirt, Anderson explained.

But Wadas dismissed that theory.

“That blood didn’t get there because of his [Myles’] CPR technique. That blood got there because there was a murder,” he said.

Myles faces life in prison.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.