Weather Updates

4 charged with attempted first-degree murder of Richton Park man

Ozzie Moore  |  Cook County Sheriff's Office photo

Ozzie Moore | Cook County Sheriff's Office photo

storyidforme: 48432418
tmspicid: 17975919
fileheaderid: 8097569
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: May 30, 2013 3:21PM

When he thought he had spotted the man who had beat him up recently walking by on Thursday evening, a Richton Park man pointed him out to his mother.

Ozzie Moore, 24, was outside a Park Forest convenience store with his mother, Keetha Moore-Bankhead, 48; his sister, Maria Moore, 17, and their friend, Luis Pacheco, 18, records show.

“There goes that guy, mom,” Ozzie Moore said, according to police reports.

His mother decided to drive them to follow the 30-year-old man into Richton Park in her Chrysler Pacifica, police said.

And moments before they cornered the man at the corner of Ridgeway and Grant in the south suburb, police said Moore-Bankhead told her son, “If you’re going to fight him, fight him man-to-man.”

That’s when Ozzie Moore jumped out of the van and touched off a melee that allegedly drew in his sister, their friend and even his mother, according to police records. Prosecutors said they stabbed and hit the man, and Moore-Bankhead allegedly shocked him with a stun gun; then a witness threatened to call police and sent them fleeing.

Police said they found the victim bleeding on the steps outside a home in the 22300 block of Ridgeway in Richton Park. Hospital staff later told police he was stabbed 17 times and suffered a punctured bladder, kidney, lung and a fractured arm.

Now all four are charged with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery.

A witness told police he saw the attack after a tan SUV pulled onto his front lawn. He said he saw the assailants “stomping” on the victim. He said he yelled and told them he would either shoot them or call police.

Police noted that the witness had consumed four beers, though, and he seemed intoxicated. But other people said they saw the attack, as well.

The victim, who lives in Richton Park, said he knew who attacked him, but he didn’t know their names. He was taken to Franciscan St. James Health in Olympia Fields, records show, and later to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. He told a detective the man who stabbed him was named “Ozzie,” and that they had had “words” the week before.

Police managed to track the alleged assailants’ vehicle down at the home of Maria Moore’s legal guardian in Park Forest. There was still blood in the cup holder in the back seat, police said, even though the suspects later told police they tried to clean out the blood at a home in Crete. They also said they stopped along the way to toss the knives they had used to stab the victim over a bridge and into a river, records show.

Cook County Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil ordered Moore-Bankhead and Pacheco held in lieu of $500,000 bail Sunday, and Maria Moore held in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Ozzie Moore did not appear in court because he was in a hospital with chest pains, police said. The judge ordered him held without bail until he can appear in court.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.