Six injured,including two children, in Lawndale fire
BY BRIAN SLODYSKO AND ALLISON HORTON Staff Reporters December 29, 2012 6:40AM
Updated: December 29, 2012 7:37AM
There were no visible flames, but fire fighters responding to a report of a blaze in the Lawndale neighborhood Saturday morning quickly realized something was terribly wrong.
A person lay injured in the front yard of the two-story walk-up in the 4200 block of West 21st Place, fire officials said.
Then, officials say, the small blaze heated a first-floor bedroom window to the shattering point, breathing life to the fire, which shot out through the broken pane.
After breaking the front door down, fire fighters found six victims -- two of them children -- and four who were seriously hurt, District Chief Peter VanDorpe said of the fire, which was first reported about 4:40 a.m.
“I can’t believe what I saw,” said Dominic Miranda, 28, who said he works for a company that boards up buildings after fires and just happened to be in the area when first-responders arrived on the scene.
One of the victims was a young girl was badly burned with “singed hair and skin peeling” and seemed to be barely breathing, he said.
The flames which enveloped the first floor bedroom and part of a hallway were put out in a matter of minutes, VanDorpe said. But then came the matter of attending to victims.
A five-year old girl suffered burns to 100 percent of her body and a nine-year-old boy suffered burns to 35 percent of his, fire officials said. Both were taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, officials said.
A 30-year-old man suffered burns to 90 percent of his body and a 20-year-old woman suffered 80 percent burns, according to Fire Media Affairs. The two, who authorities believe are the children’s parents, were taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
The remaining victims were two women, ages 84 and 60, who were taken to St. Anthony’s Hospital with minor injuries related to smoke inhalation, authorities said.
VanDorpe declined to comment on what may have sparked the blaze, but said police and fire officials are investigating.
At least eight people were displaced by the fire, which left the home uninhabitable, VanDorpe said.