Federal judge in Chicago throws out Apple v. Motorola patent suit
BY SUN-TIMES STAFF June 22, 2012 11:34PM
Motorola's Droid wass one of the company's smartphones targeted by Apple in a lawsuit decided in Motorola's favor Friday in a Chicago court.
Updated: June 29, 2012 11:15AM
A federal judge late Friday dismissed Apple’s request for an injunction to stop Motorola from selling smart phones using technology the iPhone maker claimed violated its patents.
Judge Richard Posner, of the U.S. District Court for Northern Illinois in Chicago, has also dismissed a counterclaim that Apple was infringing on Motorola’s patent in iPhones. Posner ruled out any damages for either company and said, “neither party is entitled to an injunction. ... The parties have failed to present enough evidence to create triable issues.”
At a hearing earlier this week, Posner told both sides that any injunction he might declare for Apple would have “catastrophic effects” on Motorola, and he questioned whether he could issue an injunction, as Apple requested, in the case of what’s known as “standards-essential patent.”
In the ruling filed Friday, Posner also said neither side could refile their claims.
“We are pleased that Judge Posner formally dismissed the case against Motorola Mobility,” said Jennifer Weyrauch-Erickson, a spokeswoman for Motorola. “Apple’s litigation campaign began with their attempt to assert 15 patents against us. As it relates to Apple’s violation of our patents, we will continue our efforts to defend our own innovation.”