November 28, 2014
A Cook County juvenile court judge on Wednesday ordered that a 13-year-old boy, accused of shooting three other teens, be held in a juvenile facility as he awaits trial.
The boy had been charged with three counts of attempted first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.
In a hearing, Judge Colleen F. Sheehan found probable cause to hold the boy for trial and determined that there is an “immediate and urgent necessity” to remove him from his family, a spokesman for the Cook County State’s Attorney said.
Outside the courtroom, members of the boy’s family and their attorney refused to comment.
Police said the boy was among a group of males that approached the three teens as they stood on a corner at 97th and Lowe Monday evening.
The 13-year-old then pulled a gun and started shooting, according to Chicago Police.
A 14-year-old boy was hit in the right thigh and was hospitalized in “stable” condition, and another 14-year-old boy was shot in the head and body and was in critical condition. A third boy, 17, was shot in the head and armpit and was in critical condition.
One of the victims identified the 13-year-old as the shooter and the boy was later arrested at his home.
Police sources said the shooting was retaliation for a previous fight and that the 13-year-old suspect was an admitted gang member.
The next hearing in the case was set for July 30. Typically 13-year-olds are not tried as adults in Cook County unless charged with first-degree murder.