Weather Updates

As wife got drunk and locked him out, he ‘felt sorry for her’

Updated: November 10, 2012 6:08AM

We return today to the tale of Trey and his psycho wife, Cassie.

In the two years they lived in their house, Trey estimates the the locks were changed “approximately 15 to 20 times. I had to break in several times because she changed them and didn’t tell me. She told me I didn’t need a key and that there are lots of husbands who don’t have them.

“She even had a security system installed. Of course I wasn’t allowed to have the code. They canceled us quickly due to the alarm going off every time I broke in. I was instructed to call her when I needed to get in.

“She was usually at a bar. But drinking wasn’t the complete problem. When she mixed alcohol with her paranoid psychosis, and topped it off with some cocaine, she was a mess.”

Cassie’s paranoia knew few limits. A chipped glass turned into a two-day ordeal that brought the police, which was not an unusual occurrence.

“The police knew us on a first-name basis. I would say they averaged a call to our house twice a month. That time, she called them to report someone coming into our house and breaking the glass. Since I was an accomplice, she wanted me arrested, too. She would usually call to report some kind of abuse. When they saw through her stories of abuse, she told them I was a drug dealer.”

The obvious question is: Why did Trey stick with her so long? “For some reason, I didn’t want to just abandon her. I kind of felt sorry for her.”

And then Cassie got pregnant and they had a baby.

“Things took a serious turn when, one morning at about 9 a.m., Cassie was messed up and dropped our 3-month-old daughter on her head.

“I was at work. She called me in a rage, swearing at me and blaming me and then hung up.

“I called her back and she wouldn’t answer the phone. I sped home only to be locked out. I could hear her screaming and cursing and my infant daughter crying hysterically. She refused to let me in so I called the police. They couldn’t get her to open the door. She actually used my daughter as a shield.

“This brought the fire department, more police, a hostage negotiator, reporters. She was taken away and put in the mental unit at the hospital.

“That was the day I obtained a protection order for myself and my daughter and retained a lawyer. I was awarded sole custody. Cassie eventually lost her visitation rights because she kept her away from me for six days.”

Trey and Cassie’s daughter is now 11 years old. “I never keep her from seeing her mother, but I only allow supervised visits. My daughter decides when she wants to visit. She’s still freaked out about a time when she was 8 and I let Cassie take her to McDonald’s for ice cream. Cassie called me and said she was taking her away. I threatened her with the state police and Amber Alerts. She brought her right back.”

Trey has been happily married now for five years to “an amazing woman who never had children of her own but is the mom my daughter cherishes as her own.”

If ever a guy deserved a little peace and quiet, it’s Trey.

Sound familiar? Send your tale to cheryllavinrapp@

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.