suntimes
HISTORIC 
Weather Updates

3 recipes where apple is king

storyidforme: 37518882
tmspicid: 13739501
fileheaderid: 6327693

Updated: November 4, 2012 6:03AM

Fall’s arrival means it’s the perfect time to reply to requests for recipes where apples play a starring role.

Today’s offerings include Sweetie-Licious Michigan Apple-Cherry Crisp, from Michigan Apples for K.S. of Chicago who requested a fruit crisp; Apple Chips with Bleu Cheese Dip, from the Washington State Apple Commission for R.D. of Northbrook who asked how to make apple chips, and a super-easy Caramel-Flavored Dip for raw apple slices, from allrecipes.com for E.C. of Palatine.

Sweetie-Licious Michigan Apple-Cherry Crisp was created by Linda Hundt, owner of Sweetie-Licious Bakery Cafe in DeWitt, Mich., and four-time first-place winner of the Crisco National Pie Championships.

Diced celery and apples add texture and flavor to the Bleu Cheese Dip for dried Apple Chips.

To make 8 servings of Caramel-Flavored Dip for raw apple slices (or dried chips): In a bowl, combine an 8-ounce package of cream cheese, ½ cup brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Stir until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth. Serve with slices of raw apples.

Despite the shortages of some locally produced apples, grocery stores do have the fruit available.

Requests

I’d like to make a super-spicy seven-layer Mexican dip for my husband’s football buddies. I’m not looking for the subdued version. Can someone help?

B.R., Chicago

Please ask readers for a recipe for tender Swiss steak with tomato gravy.

L.F., Lake Zurich

I would appreciate a recipe for cookies made with pistachios.

G.W., Chicago

Send recipes and requests to: Swap Shop, Chicago Sun-Times, 350 N. Orleans St., 9th Floor, Chicago 60654 or by e-mail, swapshop@suntimes.com. Please include a daytime telephone number.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.