Salt isn’t only in the shaker. Prairie Farms Cottage Cheese contains 480 milligrams of sodium. | Sun-Times Media
Updated: April 10, 2012 9:58AM
Ninety percent of daily sodium consumption comes from processed and restaurant foods, according to the Centers for Disease Control. That’s why it’s so imporant to read food labels.
Bottom line: To limit your sodium consumption, eat more fresh fruits and vegetables while at home and ask about low-sodium options in restaurants.
Here are just a few of the salt traps you’ll encounter in the supermarket. Some may surprise you. They certainly did us.
1. Oscar Mayer Lunchables, Ham & Cheddar with Crackers
4.5 ounce package: 1,020 milligrams sodium
> > 2. Bertolli Chicken alla Vodka & Farfalle frozen entree
Half of a 24-ounce package: 1,360 milligrams sodium
3. Thomas’ Plain Bagels
One bagel: 500 milligrams sodium
4. Prairie Farms Cottage Cheese
½ cup: 480 milligrams sodium
5. Jell-O Instant Chocolate Pudding & Pie Filling
Quarter of a 4-serving package: 420 milligrams sodium
6. Hormel Turkey Chili with Beans (can)
1 cup: 1,250 milligrams sodium
7. Safeway Flat Cut Corned Beef Brisket
4 ounces: 1,100 milligrams sodium
8. Thai Kitchen Pad Thai Rice Noodle Cart
9.77-ounce serving: 1590 milligrams sodium
9. Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup
½ cup serving: 870 milligrams of sodium
2.5 ounce serving, 1,240 milligrams of sodium