SUN-TIMES/WBEZ SPECIAL REPORT: The number of children who died from abuse or neglect over the past five years in Illinois is higher than the state’s child-welfare agency has reported, according to new figures from the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. DCFS officials blamed errors in “the department’s tracking and reporting system,” including counting as a single death some cases in which more than one child died.
Chicago voters casting ballots in the March 18 primary will not be asked whether they favor a switch to an elected school board.
- After a sloppy morning commute, brace for dropping temperatures
- Pace picks up for number of Illinois residents enrolled in Obamacare
- Health secretary asks for investigation of Obamacare website problems
- Would-be robber shot and killed by shopkeeper
- After decades in prison, South Side man’s rape conviction overturned
- Illinois makes bid for Boeing manufacturing facility
- Retailers gripe they weren’t in the loop on Ashland bus rapid transit
A former Chicago Police officer who has emerged as one of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s most trusted advisers was chosen Tuesday to lead Chicago’s scandal-plagued Department Read More
Updated: 2013-12-11 10:55:59
Josh McCown vs. Jay Cutler is a tougher call today than it was last week, but not because McCown is the better quarterback. Only because … Read More
Deborah F. Rutter, who brought fundraising discipline to the CSO and snared Italian conductor Riccardo Muti as music director, will become president of the Washington,
Phosphates. Egg Creams. Green River. Root Beer. These may sound like some very old-fashioned sodas, but in the past few months, they’ve become hipper than Read More