suntimes
CRACKLING 
Weather Updates

7 premieres worth catching this week on TV

SONS OF ANARCHY - Pictured: (L-R) Charlie Hunnam as Jacks'Jax' Teller Katey Sagal as GemmTeller Morrow Jimmy Smits as Nero

SONS OF ANARCHY - Pictured: (L-R) Charlie Hunnam as Jackson 'Jax' Teller, Katey Sagal as Gemma Teller Morrow, Jimmy Smits as Nero Padilla - Photo: Prashant Gupta/FX

storyidforme: 36698005
tmspicid: 13413450
fileheaderid: 6190772

Updated: October 12, 2012 6:05AM

Make room on the DVR; the fall TV season is underway. Here are this week’s premieres that have me the most pumped up:

TUESDAY

“The New Normal”: 8:30 p.m. on WMAQ-Channel 5

“Glee” creator Ryan Murphy’s controversial comedy about a gay couple and the surrogate they hire to start a family ranks as my favorite pilot of the season. (This is the regular night after Monday’s sneak peek.)

“Sons of Anarchy”: 9 p.m. on FX

Jimmy Smits joins the cast with a bang (hello, Katey Sagal!) as the biker drama revs up for season five with an intense 90-minute opener.

“Parenthood”: 9 p.m. on WMAQ-Channel 5

I’ve sampled this family drama in the past but never committed. Going to try again because Ray Romano’s guest arc sounds intriguing, and everybody loves Raymond.

WEDNESDAY

“The X Factor”: 7 p.m. on WFLD-Channel 32

Chalk it up to morbid curiosity about new judge Britney Spears. Not promising I’ll make it through the entire episode, let alone season.

THURSDAY

“Glee”: 8 p.m. on WFLD-Channel 32

I’m not a Gleek, but I’m loving the addition of Kate Hudson as an instructor who makes Coach Sue look warm and fuzzy.

SATURDAY

“Saturday Night Live”: 10:30 p.m. on WMAQ-Channel 5

Bummed about Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg’s absence, but looking forward to an infusion of Chicago-trained comics with new cast adds Aidy Bryant, Tim Robinson and Cecily Strong. “Family Guy” Seth MacFarlane hosts. Musical guest: Frank Ocean.

SUNDAY

“Boardwalk Empire”: 8 p.m. on HBO

After season two’s explosive finale, Nucky Thompson and company are back with one of the best episodes yet. It’s New Year’s Eve, 1922, and things are getting crazy in Atlantic City and Chicago.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.